ISO 14001 Environment Management System-
Businesses often forget about the culture/environment and ultimately they suffer for it because they cannot deliver good service from unhappy employees. To be competitive on both in national and global basis organization must adopt a forward thinking approach in developing their managing strategies. Management system standard such as ISO 14001 help an organization to better control its processes. It is the world's recognize framework for EMS (Environment Management System).
ISO 14000 series includes generic standards which may be broadly classified according to the six Categories: EMS, Auditing, Performance, Evaluation, Labelling, Life cycle assessment and Environmental aspects of product standard. It is voluntary, consensus-based and market-driven standard which is based on Plan-Check-Do-Review-Improve cycle. The main purpose of this standard is to systematically control adverse environmental impacts and ensure that established objectives and targets are met.
What is ISO 14001 ?
ISO 14001 is the international standard for environmental management of businesses. The actual environmental standards of ISO 14001 deal with how a company manages the environment insight its facilities and immediate outside environment. However the standards also call for analysis of the entire life cycle of the product from raw material to eventual disposal. ISO 14001 do not mandate a particular level of pollution or performance but focus on awareness of the processes and procedures that can affect the environment. The standards seek to provide cost effective tools that make use of best practices for organizing and applying information about environmental management.
- Reduction in the use and cost of energy and raw materials.
- Identification of pollution prevention opportunities.
- Enhanced operational control and efficiency.
- More effective targeting of scarce environmental management resources.
- Improved overall environmental performance.
- Reduced risk related to environmental, health and safety.
- Improved internal communication.
- Improved external relations and public image.
- Reductions in the cost of waste disposal.